Chapter 1 - Introduction


FAA Licensing

This procedure applies in the U.S.A. only. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has a definite procedure for registering and licensing homebuilt aircraft. There is nothing complicated about it, but they insist that you follow each step carefully.

Contact your local FAA Engineering and Manufacturing District Office or FAA General
Aviation District Office. Tell them you are building a Super2 homebuilt. Give them the fol‑
lowing information:

  • 3-View drawing of the Super2
  • Aircraft serial number
  • Aircraft registration number, if available (see step #2)
  • Approximate date of starting construction
  • Engine-type

FAA will then answer you, and tell you when they want to inspect your airplane, where the approved test areas are, etc.

  • This step is optional, and applies only if you want to reserve a specific registration number (the number you will paint on the tail). You can ask for all numbers, numbers followed by a single letter, or numbers followed by two letters. They are preceded by the letter "N". (For example, N77Q, N8490P, etc.). Be sure to give them your second and third choice, in case the number you want is already taken. Send $10 to reserve your special number to:

FAA Aircraft Registry
Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK. 73125

Do not register your aircraft yet, since you don't need to pay registration fees, property taxes, etc., until your airplane is ready to fly. If you do not desire a special number, then the FAA will assign you a random number.

  • When you are ready for inspection contact your local FAA office. Be sure you have an airframe log book (available from EAA) so that FAA can make an inspection entry.
  • To prepare for your final inspection, be sure you have: The "N" number painted on, the "Experimental" sign (2" high letters) on the canopy frame, the ID plate, and an airframe log book and an engine log book.

Before final inspection, fill out an application for registration (FAA form #AC8050-1), a notarized affidavit that you built the airplane from parts that you bought yourself, and include $5 registration fee. Send those things to:

FAA Registry
Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

After you have made a final inspection of your aircraft, run the engine, etc., but prior to any taxi tests or flights, contact your local FAA office and tell them you are ready to fly. They will have you fill out an application for airworthiness (form #8130-6), inspect your air-plane, and issue you an airworthiness certifi­cate and a list of operating limitations. When you have completed your initial test period, contact FAA to get your operating limitations amended so you can fly outside your test area.